Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Designing Done, Almost Time To Start The Fun Stuff

I have finally come up with a design for our tiny house! It is a glorious day for us! Now we just have to save up a little  it more money to buy the trailer. I have been trying to find a used one, but that is very hard. It seems like no one is selling a used 8x24' trailer for less than a new one would be! I know a lot of people who build tiny houses do so on smaller trailers, but for the design that we would like and a house that will comfortably be able to sustain us for years to come, we need a larger trailer. So I will probably end up buying a brand new car trailer that can hold 8000#, but with one modification- no dove tail. I don't know why more people with tiny houses don't buy a car trailer instead. You have to take off the wooden deck and replace it with metal flashing anyways. I have heard some responses like, "It's hard to find one that can support enough weight." Yeah, not really. I found mine at Kaufman Trailers.They are about $2,000 cheaper than buying just a flatbed utility trailer, and most of those need to be modified to eliminate a dove tail anyways. Just be mindful when picking out a trailer: you get what you pay for. Be wary of any used trailers for under a thousand dollars. That is also a reason I am choosing to buy a new trailer. The ones that I did find that were big enough looked like they were just falling apart. I have also posted my designs (including floor plan) in the photo gallery. I really can't wait to start building! This blog is going to get so much better when I have updates that include building, not just planning (definitely the boring part). 
This is a to-do list I have concocted for my sanity in planning this giant project:
1. Do lots and lots and lots of research!
2. Figure out the floor plan
3. Make the building designs
4. Make a material list
5. Make a budget
6. Buy some books on tiny house building, plumbing, and wiring.
7. Get the trailer
8. Start building!

Okay, that's it for this one. Check out the pics at my website, Teeny Tiny Home. My upcoming blogs will included my material list (I could not find a free one, so hopefully this will help some people out), my budget, and the websites and books that I have concluded to be the most helpful in the planning. And yes, the books are e-books.

Regards,
Mollie

Check out my website, http://www.teenytinyhome.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment